Thursday, June 11, 2009

There is always next year I suppose.

Mine and Corky's anniversary is this Saturday. It will be 6 years. I love this man of mine and have loved being married to him. Last year he totally surprised me with an anniversary band. He had heard me say once (maybe twice) that I would love a band to wear every single day on my wedding finger. It wouldn't snag or catch or injure anybody else. (which it had, I sliced a kid's head once when I flung my hand around!) Not that it is a competition or that I am trying to "one-up" him, but I wanted to get him something really great this year. He is usually the one giving the well thought out, well planned, and meaningful gifts that I absolutely love. I figured it could be his turn to receive one.

As much as I try, I can never surprise him! He always has a clue. Somehow he always knows what I am getting him. This year I wanted it to be a surprise. I looked up the traditional 6 year gift and was excited to see I had options. Traditionally it is something wood, or a candy of some sort. More modern gifts though include something iron. I was pumped. If you know Corky at all, you know he is obsessed with golf. I contemplated purchasing a new golf club (wood/iron, get it?) But then decided against it because there was no way I could get that one right. I also didn't want to be so typical of me and say "Here honey, go get yourself a new golf club!" That would be so predictable.

This is turning into a long story. It's almost over.

So I have the BRILLIANT idea of buying my husband private golf lessons. That way he has to use his irons and woods! Make sense? So I make some phone calls to Butch Harmon School of Golf and purchase him some private lessons with the pros. And when I say pros, I mean PROS!!!

So the lady tells me she will mail me the gift certificates but not to expect it before this Saturday. So I go through a process and have her fax a copy to my friend's husband's work. It was going to be perfect!

Until today......

Corky gets the mail while I am cooking dinner. He walks in, places a large envelope on the counter with "Butch Harmon School of Golf" in HUGE letters and says "This is interesting!" I swear I blacked out for a minute. I totally panicked! There was just no getting around this one. So after stewing about it for 10 minutes or so, I decided that he gets his present early!

I was SO CLOSE to finally surprising him. He didn't have a clue.



But he loves it, and now we have a funny story!

Love you so much, Corky!!

7 comments:

Heather B said...

Dang that mail! But you did GOOD, what a great present to give!

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Smart thinking on the gift, Lady! Maybe next year you can finally sneak a surprise past Corky! :)

Holly Woolsey said...

Good thinking! I'm sure he totally loved it...even though it wasn't on the actual day!

ZAC said...

FOIBLED of course. Still he must have been elated!

Nichole Christensen said...

I can't believe he found out!!!!! I'm glad it's all going to work. :)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

The mail always ruins surprises! Dang it! Happy Anniversary!

jamie said...

what a bummer! i guess its the thought that counts, right?! :)