Wednesday, September 8, 2010

2 Wheels!!

Emily and Gracey LOVE to ride their bikes outside. Gracey has been on just 2 wheels for a while now and Emily has never vocalized a desire to try her bike without training wheels. She's only 3. We don't do "Bicycle Boot Camp" and yell obscenities until their 4th birthday. Just kidding.

Corky and I were both excited to hear her mention it and Corky took the opportunity to take the training wheels off immediately. I held the video camera while Corky did the whole "not letting go" thing. I haven't uploaded the videos yet to my computer or I would post them because it is hilarious. You basically see Emily, like all other kids learning to ride a bike, insist that her bike isn't let go of. Then it is let go, the child realizes it, then falls. She didn't want to try again.


Finally I urge her to come watch the playback on my camera and she can actually see she did it for a split second. So we convince her that that split second was the coolest thing in the world and I tell her to try again as I videotape so she can come watch again. That happened over and over. Get on the bike, watch the video, back on the bike, watch the video, until finally, Emily was zooming up and down the street!


I usually describe Emily as not the outgoing one of my children (did that make any sense?), but since moving here to Kansas, and she has really opened up to trying new things. It makes us so happy and proud!

And of course, here is Gracey. She has been a pro on the bike for a while. Just tonight she showed us her new trick. She gets the bike going, then puts both legs up and rests on the bar. She is dangerous and hilarious.

It's also a special day because Corky turned 31! We love him. A lot. Happy Birthday, old man!

3 comments:

Skyler and Bailey said...

How exciting! I cant wait to see the video. I am totally shocked that Emily was so up for it. She is growing up too fast. Corky is too!

Emma said...

that is amazing!
My almost 5 year old is still using training wheels but I think tomorrow we'll hit it hard and make her be brave! I think video taping it to show her is an excellent idea!

jaesi said...

yep- training wheels all here- i gotta get helmets first. since there is bound to be some major crashes. :)

your girls are awesome!